Saturday, April 23, 2011

Approaching Middle Age

Apparently this year is a significant year for me. I am turning 29 for the second time and it has caused me to do some reflecting on aging. On a run the other night a thought flashed through my mind "Am I becoming middle aged?". I have three kids, drive a minivan, and staying up "late" is 11pm. Do I think I am younger (and younger looking) than I really am? In my mind I still must be 22 or 23 tops.

Here is what is going on in our house right now:


Jake: "Dad, are you becoming a grandpa?"
Dan: "No, why?"
Jake: "Because your beard has white hair in it." (now, close to tears)
Dan: "No, that is just what happens when your hair gets old"
Olivia: "Well, can you water it?"
Dan: "No"
Jake: "Can you please shave the white off? I don't want it to be on there. What does it mean??"
And so goes the conversation for about 5 minutes. Jake is very concerned. I'm hearing the conversation unfold as I type this. Dan's telling the kids how his hair turns white when he has a stressful day but it can turn back to brown when his kids are very good.

Never a dull moment in our house!

2 comments:

Grandma daisy said...

That is so funny!! I don't think his grandpas would find it that funny though.
Dad had some gray hair by the time he was in his 20's becoming a first time Dad and some would ask him is I caused them.Your Grandma Martens would say it's wisdom showing.

Ramona said...

I love this. Especially Dan's answer. What will he look like by the time you've driven out??!!

And you should post a photo of Dan on here with this post... I miss you Dan.